By Reni M. Valenzuela
Predictions generate a buzz of varied reflections. But where are they not so important?
Predictions are probabilities that can’t go beyond the conceivable. They are mere likelihoods of what might transpire in the future within the reach of what is humanly possible. While predictions matter to bettors who gamble in perpetuity only to always win what they’ve lost, predictions don’t mean much to those who dare set forth to “unknown” heights to capture true winning without plunging. No wonder, eagle wings are for humans too who have within themselves what it takes to soar.
Hard training for both camps is over. Three days to fight night, the battle has now shifted to where it matters the most – mind, heart, soul and spirit.
Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez have just entered the remaining “quiet and inactive” days heading to their “air-strike” combat on Saturday. And more often than not, it is at this lull stage where the “miracle of upset” takes place for the underdog after both boxers have equally disposed of their best in training.
The fighters are gravely mistaken if they think they are well and done preparing for the bout because the rigors of gym stretch and efforts have passed their tight schedules. It is here where complacency, nervousness and overconfidence usually set in. Before any one of these inner “beasts” rears its ugly, bloody head during a most heated grisly fight, a surprised boxer normally finds himself at the mercy of a sudden “twist.”
Realize that training and preparation are synonymous, but they are essentially different requisite in a fight or in any earthly endeavor for that matter. The two-month “wild and crazy” physical training is to ensure premium performance but it is only about 60% of the total drill. While the other 40% which completes the course to seize the prize depends on the mental, emotional, psychological and spiritual buildup being undertaken or experienced by the person few days prior to the actual contest. And lest one gets so tense, excited or distracted, he might fail to humbly pray which transcendent act seals the victory and brings forth deep joys that make winning truly glorious and God-honoring.
Solomon, the wisest man who ever walked on the planet, has this piece of thought for Marquez and Pacquiao to heed: “I looked throughout the earth and saw that the swiftest person does not always win the race, nor the strongest man the battle” – Ecclesiastes 9:11.
Fasten your seatbelts.
Got an Opinion? Submit Your Articles and Press Releases to be posted on NowBoxing.com
*Please refrain from leaving any Racist, Profane or Derogatory comments*