By John F. McKenna (McJack)
WBA/IBF/WBO/IBO/ The Ring heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (56-3, 49 KO’s) will be shooting for his 57th victory and his 50th KO when he takes on former cruiserweight champion Jean-Marc Mormeck (36-4, 22 KO’s) on December 10 in Dusseldorf, Germany.
Many boxing observers look upon the Klitschko – Mormeck fight as a “stay busy” fight for Wladimir, who has pretty much cleaned up the heavyweight division of legitimate challengers, but “Dr. Steelhammer” insists that he is taking the Frenchman’s challenge very seriously.
In an interview with Ringside Wladimir said:
“All of the five titles I have are going to be on the line on December 10th and I am not going to underestimate Jean-Marc Mormeck. Mormeck said ‘I’m going to be the first heavyweight champion in the history of France’. So I got a little bit worried and went straight to the training camp and I’m getting ready for the fight.
“I’m at my best, I’m 35 and that is one of the best times to be in the heavyweight division age wise.
“I enjoy the challenge I get each time. It’s always different. I will not underestimate Jean-Marc. I will not overestimate him. I will do everything I have to in the ring and I will defend all of my titles.”
It has long been known in the boxing world that both Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko take all of their opponents seriously. Part of their success in the ring is that they are always in shape for every fight and even in between matches never allow themselves to get out of condition.
Many fans have been critical to Wladimir’s approach to boxing in which he never takes any risk, but that most likely is the result of him being KO’d three times earlier in his boxing career. But since taking on legendary trainer Emanuel Steward Wladimir has finally lived up to the promise he exhibited early in his career and has fully utilized his physical gifts. Last July in his biggest fight as a professional Wladimir totally dominated then WBA heavyweight champion David Haye, winning a unanimous 12 round decision.
There have been a number of heavyweights who have passed up the opportunity to fight Wladimir stating that they were not yet ready for that kind of challenge. Among them were “regular” WBA heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin and Chris Arreola.
Got an Opinion? Submit Your Articles and Press Releases to be posted on NowBoxing.com
*Please refrain from leaving any Racist, Profane or Derogatory comments*
Discuss this topic in the NowBoxing Forums (Membership is FREE)